Let us light up your night!
These quick and easy necklaces are always a huge hit at any event we visit. As a quick "make and take" this project can be completed in 20 minutes as a craft or preceded by a lesson in electricity, optical properties of glass and plastic and the differences between normal and UV (black) light on different pigments. The expanded, hands-on experimental science lesson is approximately 75 minutes.
This program was developed and is run in partnership with Mindful Makers. It is a favourite at school STEAM faires and community summer picnics -- especially ones that last into the twilight of the evening.
NOTE: If you're interested in this program for an evening summer festival for adults, please contact Mindful Makers directly. Tinker Truck only sells this program as part of a bundle of services for schools.
Ontario Curriculum Intersections:
This program can be adapted to emphasize or demonstrate learning objectives in the following broad categories:
- Visual Arts
- Drawing on clear surfaces
- Use of positive and negative space
- Science & Engineering
- Optical clarity and demonstration of how light travels in a solid medium
- How and why we 'see' using light
- How light behaves as it moves from one medium to another (plastic to air)
- Simple electrical circuits, polarity and voltage